Re: [Xen-devel] linux-2.6.18-xen.hg does not build on Debian wheezy

Jan Beulich writes ("Re: linux-2.6.18-xen.hg does not build on Debian wheezy"):
> On 16.12.13 at 12:45, Ian Jackson <Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This is 2.6.18 failing to build on wheezy (gcc 4.7.2 I think).
> >
> > /tmp/ccWpPKV2.s: Assembler messages:
> > /tmp/ccWpPKV2.s: Error: .size expression for nmi does not evaluate to a
> > constant
> > make[6]: *** [arch/x86_64/kernel/entry.o] Error 1
> >
> > Shall I drop the 2.6.18 build tests entirely, or will someone fix this ?
>
> I'll fix this irrespective of not being certain whether these build
> tests are still of much value.

Thanks.  If you have an opinion about the tests, please do say.

> And of course it goes almost without saying that tool chain
> updates should in general not result in build failures, no matter
> that the code jere indeed has always been broken.

I'm not sure whether you're saying "yes it's wrong of 2.6.18 to have
this broken code" (but I thought you had already implied that) or "it
is wrong that we get a new build failures as a result of upgrading the
compiler" (but I'm not sure how else things could work) or something
else.

This is in the osstest self-push-gate: that is, I proposed to osstest
that it should use wheezy instead and it has, for now, declined on the
grounds that that would introduce this new build failure :-).

Thanks,