Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.4 development update: Is PVH a blocker?

On Fri, 2013-12-13 at 14:43 -0500, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
> > == Open ==
> >
> Also, xl as opposed to xend, allows me to share a disk without
> any fanfare.
>
> Meaning I can do this:
>
> xl block-attach phy:/dev/sda latest1 xvda w
> xl block-attach phy:/dev/sda latest2 xvda w
>
> while if I had used 'xend' I had to also append the '!' parameter
> to denote it as 'shared'.

Do you find that restriction to be valuable in practice?

Was it ever reliable? How did it cope with /dev/mapper/FOO-BAR
vs /dev/FOO/BAR and other similar aliases (/dev/cdrom etc)?

We could certainly cause xl to swallow the '!' for compatibility but is
the feature itself necessary?

I have a feeling this is mostly implemented by checks in the block
scripts rather than the toolstack itself, perhaps libxl drives them a
bit differently.