Re: [Xen-devel] [Spice-devel] Vdagent not working on xen linux hvm DomUs

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 02:41:57PM +0100, Fabio Fantoni wrote:
[...]
> >Thanks for your reply.
> >Before starting bisection I tried with qemu 1.3.1 from
> >qemu-upstream-4.3-testing.git
> >No more crash with virtio net but it needs pci=nomsi to be
> >working, same thing for vdagent, so seems that msi problem is with
> >all virtio devices.
> >Then the problems seem 2 different, on your build you have virtio
> >devices working without setting pci=nomsi need to know the
> >differences and find the cause.
>
> Your test with virtio net working without pci=nomsi was on ovmf only
> or you tried also with seabios?

I only tried OVMF recently and since you were replying to this thread I
presumed you used OVMF as well.

> I tested with Ubuntu Saucy and Ubuntu Precise, both with latest
> xen-unstable (based on commit
> 2f718161bc292bfbdf1aeefd3932b73c0965373d), latest commit of

If you're using OVMF I suggest you update your branch to he latest
master.

> qemu-upstream-4.3-testing.git and latest stable seabios from debian
> package 1.7.3-2

So that you're not using seabios tree from xenbits?

> On both case pci=nomsi was needed to have virtio net working.
>
> I watch the pdf of virtio spec. of this post:
> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-12/msg01654.html
> however, are not able to understand the possible cause of the
> problem encountered with msi on virtio devices with xen.

That's not very relevant. The bug is in implementation.

> >About the crash of qemu 1.6.1 with virtio net is confirmed that is
> >a regression, is not critical because is not implement on libxl
> >now but I'll do further research.
> >

> I test with qemu 1.4 and 1.5 and they haven't the regression showing
> xenmap cache error with virtio net.

So you've found out the bug was introduced in 1.6, good.

> Watching history seems there aren't commits about xen mapcache
> between 1.5 and 1.6, other xen and virtio changes are many, from a
> quick look I could not find commit suspects to be tested.
> Someone can suggest me the commits more suspects to be testedplease?

How many commits between 1.5 and 1.6? If it is not too many I think
doing bisection would be a good idea.

Wei.