Re: [Xen-devel] Xen-4.3 and -unstable regression from changeset "numa-sched: leave node-affinity alone if not in 'auto' mode"

On 29/11/13 11:04, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 29/11/13 10:51, Ian Campbell wrote:
>> On Thu, 2013-11-28 at 21:17 +0000, Andrew Cooper wrote:
>>> the XenServer patch queue on
>> Are you positive that the bug is in the underlying Xen tree and not some
>> interaction with a patch in your queue?
>>
>> A boot time issue ought to be reasonably easy to test with a bare tree.
>>
>> Ian.
>>
> I am not sure of anything at the moment, although I have found one
> instance of a crash with none of the XenServer patch queue whatsoever.
>
> At the moment, I have narrowed the problem down to a handful of
> instructions writing 0s into a well-formed region of the stack.
> Clearly, this is not correct, and every tweak of the debugging causes
> the problem to jump around.
>
> ~Andrew

After some more investigation, this is not a regression at all, although
the patch is directly relevant to identifying the problem.

PXELINUX 4.04 2011-04-18  Copyright (C) 1994-2011 H. Peter Anvin et al
boot:
After multiboot magic check
Opcode from 0x105fef: 97 0e 00 00 49 8d be b0
Before lret into trampoline
Opcode from 0x105fef: 97 0e 00 00 49 8d be b0
After (failed) conditional jmp to start_secondary
Opcode from 0xffff830000105fef: 97 0e 86 00 49 8d be b0
 __  __            _  _    _____  _

Something between entering the trampoline and emerging in 64bit mode is
corrupting a single byte at phys 0x105ff1 from its correct value to a
value of 0x86.

The corruption disappears if the "no-real-mode" is used.

Currently the BIOS is trying to be updated, but the intersection of
operating systems which will successfully boot, and will successfully
run the IBM update tool is rather low.

~Andrew