Re: [Xen-devel] xl command autocompletion: domain names

On Wed, 2013-11-06 at 13:18 +1300, Matthew Daley wrote:

> > Right.
> >
> >> Can't say I have 80s UNIX experience ;)
> >
> > The problem with it from my point of view is that it's very difficult
> > to make it reliable.  I don't mind setting the title for the benefit
> > of admins, but automatically grepping processes out of ps listings is
> > pretty poor and shouldn't be done in bash-completion IMO.
>
> A quick grep through the existing bash-completion scripts doesn't show
> any uses of ps, so that is in your favour. I guess I'll can this idea
> for getting the names for now then. The thing is, a completion script
> for xl that doesn't handle domain names seems a little pointless...

I presume it does handle it if you use "sudo -s" or su and run the
commands actually as root? If so then it's not a total waste.

I can't think of any alternatives. There is the R/O xenstored socket
interface which in principal could be opened up to non-privileged users
in dom0 and have xl use it when unprivileged. That doesn't work with
dissag though and is probably a fair bit of work in xl.

I'd also be a little wary of exposing bugs (since r/o still means you
can send messages to the daemon, just that it will reject XS_WRITE/MKDIR
etc).

libxl probably leaves some per-domain droppings in /var and such, but I
don't think we'd want to expose that.

You could autocomplete all the names found in cfg files under /etc/xen/.
Obviously that makes sense for xl create but not so much for the others,
although maybe it is better than nothing? Skanky though.