Re: [Xen-devel] Guest to Host communication

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 01:18:56PM +0000, Paul Durrant wrote:
> [...]

So, Microsoft came up with this kvp (key value) driver that can
communicate with the host. The guest only needs to use a socket
interface to talk - and best of all it is in the upstream kernel.

The driver (user-space) is this one:
http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/tools/hv/hv_kvp_daemon.c
and it listens to the socket. The kernel driver gets the
key/values from the host and it ends up pushing them to the
daemon. The daemon does whatever it needs to do with them
(say, alter the IP of the guest, return the OS info back and
so on).

It should be possible to make the kernel driver use a
XenBus instead of a VMBus and piggyback on this.

> > If so, then it seems this approach would require writing different
> > drivers for different OSes, such as, Linux and Windows.  Currently, we

The neat thing is that it would also work out of the box on Windows (I hope).