Re: [Xen-devel] vTPM and guest domain installation

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 03:58:02PM +0200, Jordi Cucurull Juan wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I am trying to test the new Virtual TPM functionality of Xen 4.3, but I
> have got stuck during the installation of a guest domain.
>
> Basically I have managed to instantiate the vtpmmgr-stubdom (although I
> had to recompile Xen with XSM enabled) and a vtpm-stubdom for the guest
> domain. Nevertheless, when I try to instantiate the guest domain to
> start the installation of a CentOS distribution, I get the following error:
>
> [root@test ~]# xl create -c /var/xen/virtual1/centos6-install.cfg
> Parsing config from /var/xen/virtual1/centos6-install.cfg
> libxl: error: libxl_device.c:894:device_backend_callback: unable to add
> device with path /local/domain/0/backend/vif/3/0
> libxl: error: libxl_create.c:1115:domcreate_attach_vtpms: unable to add
> nic devices
> libxl: error: libxl_device.c:894:device_backend_callback: unable to
> remove device with path /local/domain/0/backend/vif/3/0
> libxl: error: libxl.c:1451:devices_destroy_cb: libxl__devices_destroy
> failed for 3
>
> It looks like as if there was some issue with the network (nic keyword)
> or the virtual TPM (vtpms keyword). I have tried to setup the network as
> a NAT, this could be the problem since I am not experienced with Xen.
> Nevertheless, the keyword referring to the virtual TPM is suspicious
> that something else is going on.

The root problem is that your VM fails to setup nic. Libxl runs in
callback style, when you need to add a new device you would check
whether previous deivce is added successfully. The "next device" after
your nic happens to be vtpm device.

> The configuration of the guest domain is the following:
>
> kernel = "/var/xen/virtual1/vmlinuz"
> ramdisk = "/var/xen/virtual1/initrd.img"
> name = "virtual1"
> memory = "256"
> disk = [ 'tap:aio:/var/xen/virtual1/virtual1.img,xvda,w', ]
> vif = [ 'bridge=br,ip=10.0.0.2' ]
> vcpus=1
> on_reboot = 'destroy'
> on_crash = 'destroy'

Looks legit.

You need to make sure your Dom0 has Xen netback driver.

Wei.