Re: [Xen-devel] Multi-bridged PCIe devices (Was: Re: iommuu/vt-d issues with LSI MegaSAS (PERC5i))

Jan Beulich wrote on 2013-09-11:
>> On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 14:22:51 +0100, "Jan Beulich"
>> <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx>

>>> Except that, short of being able to determine it via config space
>>> reads, we also need the resulting command line option to tell us
>>> that what kind of device that is.
>>>
>>  Not sure I follow. Why do we need to know the device type?
>
> Just look at set_msi_source_id() as well as
> domain_context_{mapping,unmap}() (just the most prominent
> examples): Behavior here heavily depends on the type of the device
> itself _and_ that of the upstream bridge(s).
Looks like there are many devices are failed to work. I wonder whether the
PCI/PCIe specification tells how to detect the hidden device behind those
devices (Like detection of phantom device). If not, I think those devices are
buggy. Or we can say those devices are not really PCI/PCIe compatible. Since
VT-d only covers the PCI/PCIe device, it's reasonable that non-PCI/PCIe device
failed to work under VT-d.

As Jan's suggestion, we need the user to tell us whether there is a hidden
device or BDF behind anther device that the OS is unaware. We need to pass that
info to Xen before pass-thought the device.

> Jan

Best regards,
Yang