Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.4 development update

On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 02:22:24PM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> On 09/08/13 21:01, Daniel Kiper wrote:
> >On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 05:09:35PM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >>* Xen EFI feature: Xen can boot from grub.efi
> >>  owner: Daniel Kiper
> >>  status: Just begun
> >>  prognosis: Fair
> >I think that you could change that to Good. I am working
> >on it. Migration to xbi struct is almost finished and
> >multiboot2 protocol works on machines with legacy BIOS.
> >Now I am working on multiboot2 protocol for machines
> >with EFI. Yesterday, I discovered some issues related
> >to memory map passed via this protocol. Sadly it looks
> >that taking into account current GRUB2 implementation
> >only workaround is available. Final proper solution would
> >require some changes in GRUB2. I will do that later.
> >
> >[...]
> >
> >>* Guest EFI booting
> >>  - status: tianocore in-tree, some build problems.
> >>    Needs new owner.
> >I could take over ownership of this but it would have
> >lowest priority on my task list now (major stuff only:
> >1 - multiboot2 protocl, 2 - EFI support for Xen in Linux
> >Kernel, 3 - guest EFI booting).
>
> OK -- I think for now then I'll leave it unclaimed, so that if any other
> enterprising developers show up they can take a look at it.

OK.

> >>* Xen EFI feature: pvops dom0 able to make use of EFI run-time
> >>services (external)
> >>  owner: Daniel Kiper
> >>  status: Just begun
> >I am going to start work on it when I finish work on multiboot2 protocol.
> >
> >Additionally, I think that:
> >   - new kexec implementation should be added to this list;
> >     David Vrabel work on this; I think that patches are
> >     quite mature and need only some polishing,
> >   - unmodified_drivers should be removed because as I know
> >     they are not maintained for very long time; if you
> >     agree I could do that,
> >   - as I saw there is a quite big mess in directory structure
> >     used by installed Xen related stuff (especially in /var
> >     and /usr); I have done some patches for myself but they
> >     require some improvements to do public release; if you wish
> >     I could work on this too.
>
> It's up to you really -- if you are set on working on it, I'll put it on
> the list; but there is plenty to do othewise. :-)  What kinds of changes
> did you have in mind in particular?

e.g. a lot of stuff is spread over /var and /var/lib. I do not mention
that /var should not contain any non standard directory, i.e. xen.
Additionally, there are a few directories in /var/lib used by various
stuff. I think that all of them should be moved to /var/lib/xen.
The same is in /var/run and /usr/share case. There are also other
minor issues which are worth to fix.

Daniel