Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.4 development update

That's right, the so-called blktap2.5 that lives in github
(https://github.com/xapi-project/blktap).

> the mainline kernel, I think the feeling was that there wasn't any
> point
> in trying to upstream the local changes to the "classic" kernel.
> Blktap3 was meant to be the mainline-friendly version of blktap, but as
> you say, work on it has halted and the plan at the moment, I'm told is
> to look into qdisk, since it uses a similar technology, but gives
> access
> to work from other communities as well (Ceph, for example).

blktap3 work hasn't been halted, only the upstream process has. On the
contrary, we're still developing blktap3 (currently on
https://github.com/tmakatos/blktap/tree/blktap3 but that's temporary) and our
plan is to have it working for XenServer rather soon.

I don't see any technical difficulties in Xen using blktap3, pretty much in the
same way it does with qemu.