Re: [Xen-devel] HVM hangs system on AMD A10-6800K + Hudson-D4

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 3:14 AM, Darren Shepherd
<darren.s.shepherd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2013 at 11:22 AM, Hurwitz, Sherry <sherry.hurwitz@xxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>>
>> I would like to help you because my team at AMD does not see this problem
>> but maybe there is something unique in your environment that we have not
>> tested with.  So you are using the Xen hypervisor from XenServer 6.2 and you
>> have tested with Centos and Unbuntu guests?  Could you tell me your Guest
>> configurations (vcpus and memory per guest).  Any information you can
>> provide would be appreciated.
>>

> I found another user on the xen-users list who experienced this same problem
> [1] with the same APU but with a different motherboard that has a Hudson-D3.
> He suggested compiling and running Xen from the latest source and that
> seemed to work.  I haven't extensively tested this, but before the system
> would freeze under a minute and now I've ran it for a couple hours with no
> issues.  So I have ran all of the following dom0 setups and they have
> failed:
>
> XenServer 6.2
> CentOS 6.4
> Ubuntu 13.04
> Ubuntu 13.04 + Xen 4.3 compiled from source
>
> So there is something that was checked in since Xen 4.3 that seems to fix
> the issue or did something to mask the issue.  Specifically what I was doing
> that made it fail was that I was running a Windows XP installation from ISO.
> During the installation, around the time of entering your product key or
> configuring networking the system would hang.  On XenServer the domain was
> configured just however XenServer does it when selecting the OS type as
> Windows XP.  On CentOS and Ubuntu I was using the smallest xl cfg I could
> which was basically name, builder, disks, vif, memory.
>
> I started debugging the issue further on Ubuntu 13.04 and got it so that I
> can easily reproduce it.  I'm running basically a fresh install of 13.04
> 64-bit with "apt-get install xen-hypervisor-4.2."  I then disabled all
> features I could in the BIOS to just start ruling things out.  So I turned
> off SMP, IOMMU, CPB, NX, C6, and PowerNow!.  All other settings in the BIOS
> are default.  If I ran the following xl conf
>
> name = 'blank'
> builder = 'hvm'
> memory = 1024
>
> I then run "xl create -f blank.cfg" so that domain creates, and then about a
> second later I run "xl create -f blank.cfg 'name="blank2"'"  Its about 50/50
> if the system freezes on the first "xl create" or the second.  So basically,
> I can reproduce the issue with no domU OS.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have a COM port plugged into the motherboard and I
> haven't had time to go run and buy a com port to plug into the motherboard
> so I have no clue if Xen is logging any errors, but I definitly don't get
> anything on the linux console or in logs.  Below are the specs of the system
> I have
>
> AMD A10-6800K
> [...]

Andrew, Jan, any idea which patch might be the culprit for fixing this problem?

Barring that, Darren, you can try to do a git bisect to figure out
when things started working again:

http://webchick.net/node/99

 -George