Re: [Xen-devel] blktap, qdisk, xl cd-eject, and xencommons

On 04/30/2013 11:22 AM, Wei Liu wrote:
On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 11:02:38AM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
[...]
The second is problems with xl cd-insert and eject, initially reported
by Fabio Fantoni, and then (accidentally) reproduced by me.  The problem
turns out to be libxl using blktap for cdroms.  Basically, AFAICT, the
whole cd-insert cd-eject thing completely doen't work if blktap is used
to provide it; and it's not a simple fix.

To address these issue for 4.3, I would like to propose:

1. Have libxl default to qdev for everything, except for things that it
needs blktap for (like vhd, IIRC)

2. Simply remove the hard-coded modprobe from xencommons

Presumably you only mean "modprobe blktap ..."?

3. Add code into libxl to do modprobe-ing as part of the "does this
system support blktap" check.

But I think #3 can probably wait until 4.4.

I don't quite understand 2, 3 and the statment "#3 can probably wait
until 4.4". If blktap is necessary for VHD, we can not simply remove the
modprobe while not adding infrastructure in libxl to automatically load
blktap.

Well we didn't have that before 4.3, and it didn't seem to be a major problem; I think people just knew to make sure blktap got modprobed themselves. So I wouldn't personally consider this a blocker -- but I'm still open to other ideas.

In any case, it would certainly be *better* if we can have libxl attempt a modprobe, so if we can get it in before the release, I think that would be a good thing.

 -George