Re: [Xen-devel] blktap, qdisk, xl cd-eject, and xencommons

On Tue, 2013-04-30 at 11:02 +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> The second is problems with xl cd-insert and eject, initially reported
> by Fabio Fantoni, and then (accidentally) reproduced by me.  The
> problem turns out to be libxl using blktap for cdroms.  Basically,
> AFAICT, the whole cd-insert cd-eject thing completely doen't work if
> blktap is used to provide it; and it's not a simple fix.

cd-insert/eject are suppose to operate on emulated CDROM, which blktap
simply isn't in a position to provide, even if it was capable of doing
so. So this is certainly wrong IMHO at some level.

All emulated disks have a PV counterpart. Many (all?) PVHVM drivers
choose not to unplug the emulated CDROM and use it in preference to the
PV version (since this way they get proper media change events etc) but
I don't think they are required to behave like this.

In principal it's not wrong to provide the PV face of a device from a
different backend to the emulated one (e.g. we do blkback+qdisk all the
time for disks), but in the interests of simplicity it seems like the
obvious thing to do is to unconditionally use qdisk for both faces of an
HVM guest's CDROM.