Re: [Xen-devel] Bug: Windows 2003 fails to install on xen-unstable tip

At 17:12 +0100 on 23 Apr (1366737151), George Dunlap wrote:
> >>And if I then make the change that made it work before -- namely,
> >>unconditionally calling rtc_toggle_irq in rtc_periodic_interrupt() --
> >>then the w2k3 installer just spins instead of hangs.
> >>
> >>At this point I think it's worth asking: is raising needless IRQs and
> >>running non-used pmtimers really causing that big of an issue? Given
> >>that I've just spent a whole day trying to debug this, wouldn't it be
> >>better just to revert all the rtc-related changesets from 620d5da?
> >Reverting everything, as said a number of times before, is certainly
> >not the right thing.
>
> Well we can't release with w2k3 not booting -- that's not the right
> thing either.  :-)
>
> Anyway, if you have patches you want me to try I can give them a spin;
> but other than that I don't think I'm going to spend any more time
> trying to track down this particular problem.

I'll have a swing at this on Thursday (though I ought also to be looking
at ARM MMU/barrier things and the AMD/XP/TPR issue).  I have win2003
install media and am familiar with the RT code now.

But for the record, I have no objection at all to reverting the whole
lot until the release is out -- clearly we don't have the test coverage
to be sure that this hasn't caused problems for any other guest OSes.

Tim.