Re: [Xen-devel] Bug: Windows 2003 fails to install on xen-unstable tip

>>> If you've got a git hash I can try to revert it.
>> 527824f41f5fac9cba3d4441b2e73d3118d98837
>
> Reverting that c/s has no effect.

To me that contradicts your earlier findings, but the whole story
shows that I must be missing something.

> And if I then make the change that made it work before -- namely,
> unconditionally calling rtc_toggle_irq in rtc_periodic_interrupt() --
> then the w2k3 installer just spins instead of hangs.
>
> At this point I think it's worth asking: is raising needless IRQs and
> running non-used pmtimers really causing that big of an issue? Given
> that I've just spent a whole day trying to debug this, wouldn't it be
> better just to revert all the rtc-related changesets from 620d5da?

Reverting everything, as said a number of times before, is certainly
not the right thing. Furthermore, getting the emulation close to the
specification is certainly something that's valuable in its own right,
i.e. ignoring the power and performance implications of the change.

I have been pointed at a w2k3 image meanwhile, so I ought to be
able to experiment with this myself a little more.

Irrespective of that I'm meanwhile considering - based on the debug
logs you sent - that Windows might not like its IRQ8 handler to be
called with REG_C clear, or REG_C.IRQF clear (i.e. we might be
sending it _too many_ interrupts at some [early] point). However,
if that's the case, we would as well have to consider a guest not
liking getting the IRQ raised with C.IRQF set but all other bits clear
(neither of the two cases _should_ ever happen on real hardware).

Jan