Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 development update

On Thu, 2013-04-11 at 10:43 +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> On 11/04/13 10:33, Ian Campbell wrote:

> >> So when I said "freezing point", I meant, "we will start rejecting
> >> features".  Each feature will need to be considered individually.  I
> >> think, for example, that PVH is not going to make it -- it touches too
> >> much code, and is just not in good enough shape to get in as it is.  But
> >> AFAICT the TMEM stuff should be fine next week.
> >>
> >> IanC knows that he's on the hot path, and so will be working double-time
> >> over the next few days to review / commit patches.
> > FWIW for the tmem stuff specifically IanJ seems to have a handle on the
> > review so it's not high in my queue.
> >
> >> We had a talk yesterday about the Linux stubdomain stuff -- that's a bit
> >> less clear.  Changes to libxl should be in "linux-stubdom-only" paths,
> >> so little risk of breaking libxl functionality.  On the other hand, it
> >> makes a lot of changes to the build system, adding moderate risk to an
> >> important component; and it hasn't had wide public testing yet, so
> >> there's no telling how reliable it will be.  On the other other hand,
> >> it's a blocker for being able to switch to qemu-upstream by default,
> >> which was one of our key goals for 4.3; that may or may not be worth
> >> risking slipping the release a bit for.
> > I think we switched the default for the non-stubdom case already (or
> > were planning too!). I think this is sufficient for 4.3.
>
> I've been thinking about this -- wouldn't this mean that if you do the
> "default" thing and just install a Windows guest in an HVM domain (not
> thinking about qemu or whatever), that now I"m stuck and I *can't* use
> stubdoms (because Windows doesn't like the hardware changing that much
> under its feet)?  That doesn't sound like a very good user experience to me.

For that one domain, yes. You could reinstall that VM (or a new one).
However I think using stubdoms is not yet, sadly, the common case and
those who are using it are likely to use it from the point of
installation.

On balance I think making the switch for the non-stubdom case is the
least bad option for most use cases.

Aside: The Windows not liking the change of hardware thing is mostly
supposition which no one has proved or disproved one way or the other
AFAICT.