Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.3 development update

> = Timeline =
>
> We are planning on a 9-month release cycle.  Based on that, below are
> our estimated dates:
> * Feature freeze: 25 March 2013
> * Code freezing point: 15 April 2013

Is it possible to extend this? One of the reviewers (Ian) is just
now able to look at code and review. That means the developers have
only 3 business days to repost the changes.

> * First RC: 6 May 2013
> * Release: 17 June 2013
>
> The RCs and release will of course depend on stability and bugs, and
> will therefore be fairly unpredictable.  Each new feature will be
> considered on a case-by-case basis; but the general rule will be as
> follows:
>
> * Between feature freeze and code freeze, only features which have had
> a v1 posted before the feature freeze, or are on this list, will be
> considered for inclusion.
>
> * Between the "code freezing point" and the first RC, any new code
> will need to be justified, and it will become progressively more
> difficult to get non-bugfix patches accepted.  Critera will include

I am hoping you explain what is meant by 'new code'. Say a patchset is
being posted where only one of the patches is being modified by the
reviewer (case a). Or the reviewers would like new code to be written to
handle a different case (so new code - case b).

The case b) would fall in 'new code will need to be justified'.. But if
the new code does not meet the criteria is the full patchset going to
languish to the next window? Or can parts of it that pass the reviewer's
muster be committed?

The case a) I would think would not be a problem.

> the size of the patch, the importance of the codepath, whether it's
> new functionality being added or existing functionality being changed,
> and so on.

Sorry about asking these questions - but I am being increasingly pressed
to fix upstream bugs, upstream new material for v3.10, upstream the claim
toolstack changes, and also go on vacation. Hence I am trying to figure out
what I need to focus on to meet these deadlines.