From: Steven Haigh [mailto:netwiz@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 03 April 2013 12:42
To: Felipe Franciosi
Cc: Xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Xen disk write slowness in kernel 3.8.x

On 03/04/13 22:36, Felipe Franciosi wrote:
> Based on what you said later, your raid stripe size is 128KB. When you plug
> /dev/md3 to your guest, you will be going through blkback/blkfront which only
> support 44KB per request.

This is interesting. The default size for a RAID5/6 via mdadm these days is
512Kb.

> So can I ask what is the "task that is going on"?
> I mean, what is your workload and how does it look like (in terms of
> reads/writes, (a)sync and size)?

The load is mostly sequential writes. Samba + NFS shares mainly. Files are
usually 300Mb -> 10Gb. Its mostly writes, with occasional reads.
Interestingly, I get 220Mb/sec+ reads - but only ~50Mb/sec writes via the DomU.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz@xxxxxxxxx
Web: https://www.crc.id.au