Re: [Xen-devel] Time Skewing on Windows XP

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Steven Haigh <netwiz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 16:00:25 +1100
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 05:01:36 +0000

On 03/12/2013 03:40 PM, Suravee Suthikulpanit wrote:
Hi,

While I was investigating the following issue on Windows XP (both 32-bit
and 64-bit):

* AMD NPT performance regression after c/s 24770:7f79475d3de7
    Reference:http://marc.info/?l=xen-devel&m=135075376805215

On the latest source form xen-unstable, I ran into an issue where the
timing on the HVM guests skewing about 2x slower than the actual wall
clock time.  This results in the system time slowing down. This is
regardless of the cpufreq governor scaling. (I tried with both ondemand
and performance).

However, I don't see the same behavior on the Win7 HVM guests. Is this a
known issue. I assume that XP and Win7 uses different mechanism for
keeping time (e.g. rdtsc vs. HPET)?

I found this recently as well... I didn't managed to come across a solution - however mine is on an Intel CPU. In the end, I just gave up and installed an NTP client on the WinXP systems. This updated the clock every hour so it doesn't drift enough to worry about anymore.

If I disable this, it drifts a few hours each day.

--
Steven Haigh

Email: netwiz@xxxxxxxxx
Web: https://www.crc.id.au