Re: [Xen-devel] Question re live migrate on Xen 4.2 re different cpu capabilities

--On 7 February 2013 16:19:29 +0000 Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

You're heading in a slightly wrong direction here: You don't really
care what features Xen know about or supports. What you do care
about is what features your DomU-s get to see. And that's where
the masking comes into play (and why this can be done on a per
guest basis as well as at the host level).

I want my domUs to see a no more than a fixed set of CPU flags
(obviously if those CPU flags aren't present, I don't want to
lie that they are). I have no visibility of what hardware my
software may be installed on in the future. EG if Intel introduces
a megawidget CPU flag and Xen adds support for it, I want to be
guaranteed this is masked out as it will break live migrate
between megawidget and non-megawidget compatible machines.

--
Alex Bligh