Re: [Xen-devel] Question re live migrate on Xen 4.2 re different cpu capabilities

Olaf,

--On 7 February 2013 16:11:26 +0100 Olaf Hering <olaf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

cpuid= is what the guest sees, so its not so much a feature of Xen
itself but what the host cpu provides. I'm not sure if Xen can emulate
certain important bits. The wikipedia CPUID entry has a list what each
bit means.

I know what how to find out what the bits mean. But in some sense
I don't care.

What I want to do is take a particular set of cpu features (which for the
sake of argument I will do by booting a kvm domain), and say "mask off
any additional cpuid flags beyond these", so if a new feature gets
introduced in the Xen codebase, it won't show in the guest. I think the
only thing I can do at the moment is check the Xen code for every cpu
feature Xen knows about, remove those I still want, and mask off the rest.
What I actually want to do is to say "please don't expose any features
other than these ones, and only expose these if the host supports them",
so that if we change versions of Xen to one supporting another feature,
we won't need to poke around in every domain config.

--
Alex Bligh