Re: [Xen-devel] Xen, oprofile, perf, PEBS, event counters, PVHVM, PV

On Wed, 2013-01-16 at 11:18 -0500, Boris Ostrovsky wrote:
> On 01/15/2013 11:47 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

> >> 5) live event reports from xenoprof/opreport, ala perf top.
> >> 6) ports of oprofile kernel modules for other oses (bsd, windows,
> >> mirage), so that these oses can be used as active participants.
>
> (+ Suravee)
>
> What is the status of oprofile development in general (on Linux)? I
> don't see a whole lot of activity there, it appears to be more in
> maintenance mode.

Linux OProfile driver is in maintenance mode.  However, the user-space tools
have been converted to use
PERF syscalls interface which allows it to support per-process (non-root)
profiling (similar to PERF default mode).

One advantage of OProfile is the large database of performance counters on
various platforms.

Suravee