Re: [Xen-devel] Xen, oprofile, perf, PEBS, event counters, PVHVM, PV

On 01/15/2013 11:47 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 05:11:01PM +0000, Marcus Granado wrote:
On 14/01/13 20:45, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

And it occurs to me it could be possible be to make some inroads on making
performance monitoring easier:

   1). fix the glaring omissions in oprofile for the new CPUs
   2). Add a register keyhandle to get some debug info.
   3). piggyback on oprofile hypercalls and insert some bridge in perf (lots
       of handwaving here). Or perhaps emulate in the Linux kernel the
       wmsrs (so xen_safe_wrmsrs) and have the pvops kernel based on the MSRs
       make the hypercalls to setup the buffers, etc.

      3a). new hypercalls? intercept rdmsr/wrmsrs and stuff the right data
       in the initial domain? Other thoughts?

   4). Extend perf to have '--xen' so it can also look at the xen-hypervisor
       ELF file.

5) live event reports from xenoprof/opreport, ala perf top.
6) ports of oprofile kernel modules for other oses (bsd, windows,
mirage), so that these oses can be used as active participants.

(+ Suravee)

What is the status of oprofile development in general (on Linux)? I don't see a whole lot of activity there, it appears to be more in maintenance mode.

I realize that doing (4) may end up being a lot of work but given much more active perf development it seems to me that this should be the preferred route.

-boris