Re: [Xen-devel] can not use all available memory

On Fri, 2012-11-23 at 12:55 +0000, Pasi KÃrkkÃinen wrote:

> > This has been discussed at length on the list before, please check the
> > archives.
> >

> I tried googling quickly but I didn't find anything relevant..

I found
http://web.archiveorange.com/archive/v/zCKz5T3PLvtyZDSPQc9i
in a matter of seconds, then:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2011-11/msg01415.html
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2012-05/msg00139.html
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-users/2012-05/msg00146.html

> To me this behaviour still seems wrong. What's the point of autoballoon=1
> trying to
> balloon down dom0 if the hypervisor already has enough free memory for the VM
> ?
>
> In this case:
>       - dom0_mem=2G
>       - new VM to launch with size 16 GB.
>       - Xen has 28 GB of free memory.
>
> So clearly there's no need to try to balloon down dom0..

Right, so don't set autoballoon then.

> not-yet-implemented check/feature in xl, or a bug?

Neither, it is the intended behaviour of xl autoballoon, this option
means exactly "take the required memory from dom0".