[Xen-devel] Immediate kernel panic using gntdev device

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: D Sundstrom <sunds@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 17:35:33 -0600
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 23:36:40 +0000

Running under debian wheezy kernel 3.2.0-3-686-pae (32 bit), under Xen 4.1 HVM.

The linux PV drivers load and all appears to be fine.

I want to use the gntalloc device to allocate a page of memory from Domain A and then map that into Domain B using gntdev.  Both are unprivileged domains.

Using Daniel DeGraaf's test program here: http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2011-01/txtzDU6iZhTkB.txt

I can run the command to create a grant, but upon running the command to map the grant (from either the same domain or another DomU), the kernel immediately crashes with no diagnostic output.

Should I expect to be able to map grants in a DomU allocated in another DomU?

Example of running the test:

$  xenstore-read domid
8

$  thetestprogram
src-add <domid>       return gntref, address
map <domid> <ref>     return index, address
src-del <gntref>      no rv
gu <index>            no rv
unmap <address>       no rv
show                  print and change mapped items
This process bumps by 4000
src-add 8
src-add mapped 1372 at 0=0
show
00(-1217044480,0): current     4000    new    0
map 8 1372
(immediately crashes the VM)

Thanks,
David