Re: [Xen-devel] libxl drivers for libvirt?

On Fri, 2012-10-26 at 13:54 +0100, OndÅej HoleÄek wrote:
> I would definitely appreciate any detailed overview what and why
> changed between 4.1 and 4.2 libxl iface.

A whole tonne of stuff I'm afraid :-/

The bigger things which spring to mind are:
      * The event handling subsystem. This was designed specifically
        with libvirt in mind so I hope they work well for you.
      * Making APIs capable of being called asynchronously where
        necessary. This should benefit toolstacks with a daemon which
        manages multiple domains.
      * Fixes to the handling of forking and signals etc. These are
        problematic to use in a library but we think we've come up with
        a solution which works. Ian J blogged about this [1].
      * Tweaks to the API to make them more consistent and symmetric,
        mostly to file some of the rought edges/gotchas us before
        calling the API stable and to give us something which we were
        happy to support going forward.

The upside is that in 4.2 we have a libxl API which we are committed to
maintaining in a stable / backwards compatible manner, as described in
libxl.h[0].

Ian.
[0]
http://xenbits.xen.org/hg/xen-unstable.hg/file/tip/tools/libxl/libxl.h#l16