Re: [Xen-devel] domain creation vs querying free memory (xend and xl)

> From: Andres Lagar-Cavilla [mailto:andreslc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] domain creation vs querying free memory (xend and xl)
>

> On Oct 4, 2012, at 12:59 PM, Dan Magenheimer wrote:
>
> >> From: Andres Lagar-Cavilla [mailto:andreslc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> >> Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] domain creation vs querying free memory (xend and
> >> xl)

> >> That is doable. One benefit is that it would minimize the chance of a VM
> >> hitting a CoW ENOMEM. I
> don't
> >> see how it would altogether avoid it.
> >
> > Agreed, so it doesn't really solve the problem.  (See longer reply
> > to Tim.)
> >
> >> If the objective is trying to put a cap to the unpredictable growth of
> >> memory allocations via CoW
> >> unsharing, two observations: (1) will never grow past nominal VM footprint
> >> (2) One can put a cap
> today
> >> by tweaking d->max_pages -- CoW will fail, faulting vcpu will sleep, and
> >> things can be kicked back
> >> into action at a later point.
> >
> > But IIRC isn't it (2) that has given VMware memory overcommit a bad name?
> > Any significant memory pressure due to overcommit leads to double-swapping,
> > which leads to horrible performance?
>
> The little that I've been able to read from their published results is that a
> "lot" of CPU is consumed
> scanning memory and fingerprinting, which leads to a massive assault on
> micro-architectural caches.
>
> I don't know if that equates to a "bad name", but I don't think that is a
> productive discussion
> either.

Sorry, I wasn't intending that to be snarky, but on re-read I guess it
did sound snarky.  What I meant is: Is this just a manual version of what
VMware does automatically? Or is there something I am misunderstanding?
(I think you answered that below.)

> (2) doesn't mean swapping. Note that d->max_pages can be set artificially low
> by an admin, raised
> again. etc. It's just a mechanism to keep a VM at bay while corrective
> measures of any kind are taken.
> It's really up to a higher level controller whether you accept allocations
> and later reach a point of
> thrashing.
>
> I understand this is partly where your discussion is headed, but certainly
> fixing the primary issue of
> nominal vanilla allocations preempting each other looks fairly critical to
> begin with.

OK.  I _think_ the design I proposed helps in systems that are using
page-sharing/host-swapping as well... I assume share-breaking just
calls the normal hypervisor allocator interface to allocate a
new page (if available)?  If you could review and comment on
the design from a page-sharing/host-swapping perspective, I would
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dan