Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.2.0, xl toolstack cant launch older domUs

On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 16:29 +0100, Valtteri Kiviniemi wrote:

> 2012/10/3 Valtteri Kiviniemi <kiviniemi.valtteri@xxxxxxxxx>
>

>         2012/10/3 Valtteri Kiviniemi <kiviniemi.valtteri@xxxxxxxxx>
>
>                 2012/10/3 Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx>
>                         On Wed, 2012-10-03 at 12:44 +0100, Valtteri
>                         Kiviniemi wrote:
>                         > Hi,
>                         >
>                         > Ok, well lets do it thisway. Hopefully I got
>                         this right this time.
>

>                         You did, thanks. (aside, can you not top-post
>                         please)
>
>                         A bit of a shot in the dark but what is the
>                         address size (i.e. 64 bit or
>                         32 bit) for each of your hypervisor, dom0 and
>                         domU kernels?
>
>                         Does this change anything:
>                                 xl cr -p lightning.cfg
>                                 xenstore-write /local/domain/$(xl
>                         domid lightning)/device/vbd/51713/protocol
>                         x86_32-abi
>                                 xl unpause lightning
>
>                         (this assumes the domains cfg is lightning.cfg
>                         and name is lightning)
>
>                         Ian.
>

>                 Hi,
>
>                 Sorry for the top posting, I'm at work at the moment
>                 and using different mail client which is is configured
>                 for top posting and I was too lazy to change it.
>
>                 But that did do the trick, the domU is now fillu
>                 booting and working!
>
>                 - Valtteri
>

>         Hi,
>
>         dom0 is 64bit, hypervisor is 64bit and that domU (lightning)
>         is 32bit.
>
>         - Valtteri
>
> Hi,
>
> I have now made a startup script that starts the domU first by pausing
> it, then writes that thingy in xenstore and then unpauses it. Its
> working now fine. I assume that this is some kind of bug that will be
> fixed on later Xen versions, or is this caused by something in my end?
> Do I have to do something else to get the domU to startup normally?

I'm undecided at the moment whether this represents a bug in the old
domU kernel, or something wrong with the toolstack.

Can you tell me what flavour (i.e. address width, 32 or 64) of
hypervisor, dom0 kernel and domU kernel you are using is?