Re: [Xen-devel] [Xen-devel V2] sedf/build: Fix build when using -fno-inline

On 03/10/12 14:22, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> On 03/10/12 13:35, Andrew Cooper wrote:
>>> I found this issue while trying to debug on a separate issue.  It
>>> certainly affects unstable thru 4.1, and probably earlier, so should be
>>> take for backport.
>>>
>> Apologies - try this patch which has less Unicode in the commit message.
> I certainly agree to the change for -unstable, but what's the rationale for
> the backport request (given that there's no -fno-inline anywhere in the tree)?
> Is this actively causing problems in any non-debugging environment?
>
> Jan

Not as far as I am aware.  Backporting it will make no difference to the
older trees in general, but will prevent people who are debugging older
trees from needing to fix the build every time they actually need to
invoke -fno-inline.  (I have been working on this issue for 4 straight
days now, debugging on 4.1 and was quite taken aback when the build broke).

I would argue that the benefits (for developers) do outweigh the
bascially-0 cost, even if it isn't strictly a functional bugfix.

--
Andrew Cooper - Dom0 Kernel Engineer, Citrix XenServer
T: +44 (0)1223 225 900, http://www.citrix.com