Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: blktap3

On Thu, 2012-08-30 at 16:41 +0100, Thanos Makatos wrote:
> Thanks for your comments, Ian, I'll address them before reposting.
>
> To start with, you say that I should replace LIBXL_DISK_BACKEND_TAP:
> > >          disk->backend = LIBXL_DISK_BACKEND_TAP;
> > >      } else if (!strcmp(backend_type, "qdisk")) {
> > >          disk->backend = LIBXL_DISK_BACKEND_QDISK;
> > > +    } else if (!strcmp(backend_type, "xenio")) {
> > > +        disk->backend = LIBXL_DISK_BACKEND_XENIO;
> >
> > I think you want to replace LIBXL_DISK_BACKEND_TAP rather than add a
> > new one. You could also steal the name if you like I reckon.
> But in tools/libxl/libxl.c:1876, libxl__blktap_devpath is called which
> seems blktap2 dependant, so we need a new backend type to be able to
> use blktap2 along with blktap3, no?

You can remove all the blktap2 support from libxl IMHO. I don't think
there is any need to support both in parallel in (lib)xl, especially
given that blktap2 is basically unmaintained.

I'm curious what other people think though.

We should leave blktap2 in the tree for the time being because xend
uses. Once we deprecate and remove xend we can clear that up too. In the
meantime you should leave the names of the blktap2 stuff alone etc.

[... snip hundreds of lines of unnecessary quoted material, please trim
your quotes ...]