Re: [Xen-devel] Xen4.2 S3 regression?

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:31 AM, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> When I am logging to serial, the failure is the same as before -
>> The first suspend / resume works -
>> The second fails with AHCI not working
>
> And this is with and/or without the evtchn_move_pirqs() calls
> removed? Otherwise, this might allow us at least debugging
> that part of the problem.

I am now convinced there is more than one problem:
One is the MSI issue we are chasing here... the other seems to be a
bit more insidious, where the system does not come back from S3 at all
- as mentioned in the Intel bug report from the other thread.

Running on serial to debug the former seems to at least mask the latter.

Removing evtchn_move_pirqs() at the tip does not seem to have the same
effect as removing them from the changeset that I bisected the problem
to.

At the tip, with these changes - I observe no change in behavior -
AHCI still has problems after the 2nd suspend/resume cycle.
At 21625:0695a5cdcb42, with evtchn_move_pirqs() - I am able to suspend
/ resume a dozen times, or more.

>> However, when I am not logging to serial - the system goes down, but
>> never comes back up. I cannot ssh in, and no graphics are displayed on
>> the screen. My only recourse is to hard power cycle the machine.
>>
>> This, of course makes collecting logs difficult.
>
> Did you try whether anything would make it out to the screen
> when you allow Xen to continue to access the video buffer even
> post-boot? Quite possibly for this it would be advantageous (or
> even required, as I don't think the video mode would get restored
> after coming back out of S3) to also only use a (simpler) text mode
> console (requiring that you have this up on the screen when you
> invoke S3, i.e. you'd have to switch away from or not make use of
> the GUI). That would be "vga=text-80x25,keep" on the Xen
> command line (while 80x50 or 80x60 would allow for more output
> to remain visible, even those modes would - I think - need code
> to be added to get restored during resume from S3).

I did not try this, but will investigate when I get to work today.

Ben