Re: [Xen-devel] vif backend configuration times out

On Fri, 2012-08-10 at 13:59 +0100, Olaf Hering wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, Olaf Hering wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Aug 09, Olaf Hering wrote:
> >
> > > Indeed, netback_probe is appearently never called in my case. I will
> > > check why that happens.
> >
> > What I have seen so far is that in 4.2+xl the vif driver is not
> > registered, while in 4.1+xm there is a vif driver registered. Thats so
> > far the difference I could spot.
>
> Argh, I was expecting that required kernel drivers are loaded when
> needed. But thats not the case. There is a workaround or fix for pvops
> in 25728:a6edbc39fc84. But this changeset misses at least netbk and
> blkbk.
>
> Any idea why that changeset is now needed?
> Why did it work for everyone before?

Backend driver autoloading is relatively new in pvops kernels at least
(I don't know if it was ever a feature of the older kernels). Perhaps
the SLES kernels used to build those drivers into the kernel statically?
(that was quite common in the classic-Xen kernel days, but now with
pvops modular is becoming more common)

None of which answers your questions as to why it used to work for you
though.

I think we would accept an update to 25728:a6edbc39fc84 to add some new
aliases, it was discussed at the time but I think it petered out after a
short discussion about what the correct names were.