Re: [Xen-devel] RFC: blktap3

I got some (internal) feedback: the best thing to do is to break blktap3 in individual patches to make it easier for people to review it, which makes perfect sense. Also, it’s been suggested that documenting it would hel. I’ll start by sending patches that affect the existing code in order to minimize rebasing.

From: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Thanos Makatos
Sent: 09 August 2012 15:03
To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-devel] RFC: blktap3

Hi,

I’d like to introduce blktap3: essentially blktap2 without the need of blkback. This has been developed by Santosh Jodh, and I’ll maintain it.

In this patch, blktap2 binaries are suffixed with “2”, so it’s not yet possible to use it along with blktap3.

An example configuration file I used is the following:

name = "debian bktap3 without pygrub"

memory = 256

disk = ['backendtype=xenio,format=vhd,vdev=xvda,access=rw,target=/root/debian-blktap3.vhd']

kernel = "vmlinuz-2.6.32-5-amd64"

root = '/dev/xvda1'

ramdisk = "initrd.img-2.6.32-5-amd64"

cpu_weight=256

vif=['bridge=xenbr0']

Before starting any blktap3 VM, the xenio daemon must be started.

I’ve tested it on change set 472fc515a463 without pygrub.

Any comments are welcome J

--

Thanos Makatos