Re: [Xen-devel] HYBRID naming [Was: Re: [HYBRID]: status update...]

On 01/08/12 17:53, Matt Wilson wrote:
On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 09:21:57AM -0700, George Dunlap wrote:
Hmm -- that's an interesting issue I hadn't thought of. "PVHVM" has already been sort of taken by Stefano's extensions to allow Linux kernels booted in HVM mode to use some of the PV extensions. I tend to think "xen_pvh_domain()" is probably OK, but maybe calling it "pvext" (or "pvhext") in the code, and "PVH" in documentation / stories? Just using "pvext" everywhere could work as well; it's a little bit "now even better!", but not as much as pvplus.
How about HAPV, for "Hardware Assisted Paravirtualization"? It's
nicely pronounceable as "hap-vee" and follows the general
"hardware-assisted paging" (HAP) Xen terminology that spans both Intel
EPT and AMD RVI. 'if (xen_hapv_domain())'
Wouldn't "HAPV" make people think more of HAP than of PV? It seems like it would be much more confusing to distinguish "hapv" from "hap" than "pvh" from "pv". :-)

 -George