Re: [Xen-devel] [HYBRID]: status update...

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
<konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 01, 2012 at 04:25:01PM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
>> I hope this isn't bikeshedding; but I don't like "Hybrid" as a name
>> for this feature, mainly for "marketing" reasons.  I think it will
>> probably give people the wrong idea about what the technology does.
>> PV domains is one of Xen's really distinct advantages -- much simpler
>> interface, lighter-weight (no qemu, legacy boot), &c &c.  As I
>> understand it, the mode you've been calling "hybrid" still has all of
>> these advantages -- it just uses some of the HVM hardware extensions
>> to make the interface even simpler / faster.  I'm afraid "hybrid" may
>> be seen as, "Even Xen has had to give up on PV."
>>
>> Can I suggest something like "PVH" instead?  That (at least to me)
>> makes it clear that PV domains are still fully PV, but just use some
>> HVM extensions.
>
> if (xen_pvh_domain()?
>
> if (xen_pv_h_domain()?
>
> if (xen_h_domain()) ?
>
> if (xen_pvplus_domain()) ?
>
> if (xen_pv_ext_domain()) ?
>
> I think I like 'pv+'?

I could deal with pv+.  However, in general I dislike that kind of
"now even better!" marketing.  PV+, EPV (Enhanced / extended PV), PVX
(Extreme PV!) -- they all sound cool when they come out, but five
years later, when they're not so new or sexy anymore, they all sound
lame.  PVH is just descriptive -- it will always be PV with HVM
extensions, so it will age much better. :-)

 -George