[Xen-devel] ATI VGA passthrough and S400 Synchronization module

  • To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Aurélien MILLIAT <Aurelien.MILLIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 16:05:20 +0000
  • Accept-language: fr-FR, en-US
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 16:05:45 +0000

Hi,

I’m currently trying to use XEN on graphical cluster.

VGA passtrough works fine and I’m able to use quad-buffer for active stereo.

The last thing to do is to synchronize all GPU from the cluster.

For this purpose I use ATI FirePro S400 and it didn’t works.

I’ve seen two behaviors:

-When I run lspci command on Dom0 I’ve got:

0f:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 6888

0f:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc Cypress HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5800 Series]

And sometimes just

0f:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Device 6888

-When a DomU(Windows 7) is running, it’s very slow (I can’t do anything) and crash after several minutes.

I’ve tried with the unstable version and I’ve seen the same ‘lspci’ behavior.

I’ve a couple of questions:

Is it possible to passthrough a VGA with this extension?

As it’s a particular use of VGA passtrough is it planned to able to use synchronization module?

Is it easy to add this feature (time cost)?

Computers : HP Z800 workstation

GPU: ATI FirePro V8800

CPU: Intel Xeon E5640

MB: Intel 5520 chipset