Re: [Xen-devel] XenStore as a data transfer path?

  • To: "'Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk'" <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Larry White" <lmw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 12:59:31 -0500
  • Delivery-date: Sat, 21 Jul 2012 18:00:24 +0000

Hi Konrad,

>On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 11:22:28PM -0500, LarryWhite wrote:
>I am new to Xen and want to provide simple communication between my DomU
>and
>Dom0 environments.  I just need to be able to pass a few bytes of
>information back and forth between DomU and Dom0 while using some form of
>event management to know when an update occurs so I can act on it.  At
>first, it appeared that using XenBus and XenStore might be the right
>solution for this.  However, after looking over the documentation, it seems
>that XenBus and XenStore should only be used in a PVM Xen configuration,
>not
>a HVM model like mine.  Is this true?

>>It can be done in HVM.

>What would be the best way to accomplish this?  Is there any sample code
>which demonstrates this for a HVM Xen environment?

>>libvchan is your best bet.

Have been looking at libvchan as you suggested.  An additional bit of
information that I left out on my original post was that I would like to do
this in a "one to many" environment.  In other words, I want to support data
transfer from dom0 to a number of different domU's.  Would an approach such
as libvchan allow for this or would I need a separate process in dom0 for
each of the different domU channels?  I was really hoping to have a single
process running in dom0 to manage this.

Thanks,
Larry