Re: [Xen-devel] LSI SAS2008 Option Rom Failure

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 10:55 AM, David Erickson <halcyon1981@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 10:47 +0100, David Erickson wrote:
>>> Hi-
>>> I am trying to pass an LSI SAS2008-based HBA (IBM M1015) through to an
>>> HVM Solaris VM, using Xen 4.2 unstable and the qemu-traditional device
>>> model.  On boot I see the following error:
>>>
>>> MPT BIOS Fault 09h encountered at adapter PCI(00h,05h,00h)
>>>
>>> A list search yielded
>>> (http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.devel/128172),
>>> however there was no solution for an HVM VM.  I've attached the log
>>> file for booting.  The expansion/option ROM gets installed at
>>> 0xf7a00000 and is first accessed and mapped with the line:
>>>
>>> pt_iomem_map: e_phys=f3000001 maddr=f7a00000 type=8 len=524288 index=6
>>> first_map=1
>>>
>>> However the following log line seems to immediately map the same
>>> address space to a strange e_phys location:
>>>
>>> pt_iomem_map: e_phys=ffffffff maddr=f7a00000 type=8 len=524288 index=6
>>> first_map=0
>>>
>>> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>> SeaBIOS (used by qemu-xen) should be a lot better than ROMBIOS (used
>> with qemu-xen-traditional) at supporting Option ROMS, so it would be
>> worth trying that.
>
> Ya I gave this a shot and it seems like with this device model and
> bios it doesn't really pass the card through at all, in that there is
> no message about the expansion/option rom at boot, and once I'm into
> Solaris and run scanpci, nothing shows up at all (it is at least
> enumerable under traditional).  There isn't a lot of logging to
> indicate a problem either, here is the qemu-dm-solaris.log:
>
> xc: error: linux_gnttab_set_max_grants: ioctl SET_MAX_GRANTS failed
> (22 = Invalid argument): Internal error
> xen be: qdisk-768: xc_gnttab_set_max_grants failed: Invalid argument
> xc: error: linux_gnttab_set_max_grants: ioctl SET_MAX_GRANTS failed
> (22 = Invalid argument): Internal error
> xen be: qdisk-5632: xc_gnttab_set_max_grants failed: Invalid argument
> xen be: qdisk-768: error: unknown operation (3)
>
> xen-hotplug.log prints a couple of the following lines, but it also
> prints them for traditional:
> RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported
>
> xl pci-list thinks it has attached it:
> derickso@xen:/var/log/xen$ sudo xl pci-list solaris
> Vdev Device
> 00.0 0000:02:00.0
>
> I've also attached the xl dmesg from both a rombios and seabios boot
> if that is helpful.

I should also mention I've seen the following messages that probably
aren't good when using the xen-qemu device model and pass-thru.  On
startup:

libxl: error: libxl_qmp.c:288:qmp_handle_error_response: received an
error message from QMP server: Parameter 'driver' expects a driver
name

On destroy:

libxl: error: libxl_qmp.c:288:qmp_handle_error_response: received an
error message from QMP server: Device 'pci-pt-02_00.0' not found

-David