Re: [Xen-devel] LSI SAS2008 Option Rom Failure

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 2:59 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-07-18 at 10:47 +0100, David Erickson wrote:
>> Hi-
>> I am trying to pass an LSI SAS2008-based HBA (IBM M1015) through to an
>> HVM Solaris VM, using Xen 4.2 unstable and the qemu-traditional device
>> model.  On boot I see the following error:
>>
>> MPT BIOS Fault 09h encountered at adapter PCI(00h,05h,00h)
>>
>> A list search yielded
>> (http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.xen.devel/128172),
>> however there was no solution for an HVM VM.  I've attached the log
>> file for booting.  The expansion/option ROM gets installed at
>> 0xf7a00000 and is first accessed and mapped with the line:
>>
>> pt_iomem_map: e_phys=f3000001 maddr=f7a00000 type=8 len=524288 index=6
>> first_map=1
>>
>> However the following log line seems to immediately map the same
>> address space to a strange e_phys location:
>>
>> pt_iomem_map: e_phys=ffffffff maddr=f7a00000 type=8 len=524288 index=6
>> first_map=0
>>
>> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> SeaBIOS (used by qemu-xen) should be a lot better than ROMBIOS (used
> with qemu-xen-traditional) at supporting Option ROMS, so it would be
> worth trying that.

Ya I gave this a shot and it seems like with this device model and
bios it doesn't really pass the card through at all, in that there is
no message about the expansion/option rom at boot, and once I'm into
Solaris and run scanpci, nothing shows up at all (it is at least
enumerable under traditional).  There isn't a lot of logging to
indicate a problem either, here is the qemu-dm-solaris.log:

xc: error: linux_gnttab_set_max_grants: ioctl SET_MAX_GRANTS failed
(22 = Invalid argument): Internal error
xen be: qdisk-768: xc_gnttab_set_max_grants failed: Invalid argument
xc: error: linux_gnttab_set_max_grants: ioctl SET_MAX_GRANTS failed
(22 = Invalid argument): Internal error
xen be: qdisk-5632: xc_gnttab_set_max_grants failed: Invalid argument
xen be: qdisk-768: error: unknown operation (3)

xen-hotplug.log prints a couple of the following lines, but it also
prints them for traditional:
RTNETLINK answers: Operation not supported

xl pci-list thinks it has attached it:
derickso@xen:/var/log/xen$ sudo xl pci-list solaris
Vdev Device
00.0 0000:02:00.0

I've also attached the xl dmesg from both a rombios and seabios boot
if that is helpful.

Thanks,
David