Re: [Xen-devel] How to test my patch before I post it to public?

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 4:21 PM, wang zhihao <accept.acm@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi , All
>
> I 'm a green hand and interested in open source development. I have a general
> question “How to test my patch before I post it to public?” Hope you guys
> give me some suggestions. : )
>
> Firstly, I can re-compile the code, to assure no syntax error. However,I
> don't know how to test my patch's function is right or not. Some software
> requires unit test for each function. Is there anything similar in xen
> project?

There is no unit testing for Xen.  What you need to test really
depends on what your patch is doing.  The main goal is to exercise the
code you've just added or changed: try to put it in different
combinations to make sure that it works as you expect.  Try to break
it, really. :-)

If you're just tweaking a simple option in the xl config file, then
you need to test a few different combinations to make sure that all
the reasonable combinations work.  If you're changing the locks in the
memory management code in the hypervisor, then you need to run a bunch
of benchmarks that exercise that code, probably for several hours.

If you post your patch to the list (with an appropriate description)
we may be able to give you some suggestions.

 -George