Re: [Xen-devel] no console when using xl toolstack xen 4.1.2

On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 12:55 +0100, Sam Mulvey wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2012, at 3:31 AM, Ian Campbell wrote:
>
> > Thanks, it's good to see people trying the transition.
> >
> > Are you able to try xen-unstable? A lot of this stuff (particularly
> > relating to pv consoles and pygrub etc) is much improved in the 4.2
> > version of xl and if not then we should be much more able to fix
> > things
> > there than in 4.1 (where I suspect any fix would be far too invasive
> > for
> > a stable backport).
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ian.
>
> I can.   There's a couple things that have occurred to me that I'd
> like to try out, but I can certainly give it a try.

Thanks.

> The packages I'm working on are eventually destined for a production
> server.    I started out on this process when my production machine
> started crashing when I'd load up on domUs.  You can see
> <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/xen/users/241986> for more info
> on that one.   That's running a pull from mercurial from some months
> ago before 4.1.2 was released,

Are you sure? The stack trace indicates that this is "Xen-4.2-unstable"
not 4.1.x. (note to self, we really ought to print the hg cset in the
panic log if it is available...)

>  so I thought I would make fresh go of Xen, and if I still had the
> problem I'd feel better about filing bug reports.
>

> So for the purposes of production blah, I thought I'd use the stable
> releases, but if tracking unstable is preferable, I can do that.

For your production uses I think the best advice right now would be to
use 4.1 with xend (unless Stefano can diagnose your xl console issue in
the other subthread). However it would also be useful to evaluate your
use case using xen-unstable and xl so that we can be reasonably sure
that when 4.2 is released you will be able to deploy that without issue.