Re: [Xen-devel] Virtualization of the CPU Performance Monitoring Unit

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Dietmar Hahn <dietmar.hahn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 08:11:19 +0200
  • Cc: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad.wilk@xxxxxxxxxx>, Lin Ming <mlin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, wei.huang2@xxxxxxx, marcus.granado@xxxxxxxxxx, wei.wang2@xxxxxxx, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk <konrad@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 06:11:57 +0000
  • Domainkey-signature: s=s1536a; d=ts.fujitsu.com; c=nofws; q=dns; h=X-SBRSScore:X-IronPort-AV:Received:X-IronPort-AV: Received:Received:From:To:Cc:Subject:Date:Message-ID: User-Agent:In-Reply-To:References:MIME-Version: Content-Transfer-Encoding:Content-Type; b=i1yxoluJKSSP+E70rNtzowLL2/BCEaemCQYhtltbSyyl+tHSnrYLQBNh kMqoQA0Q2d7WbXq+ACbOxM1515zzLJQpC5witTWiL+xlPvFJNdHPfwr4V XPmrrJAfPR+u4J2btxk0Q16OmBK4siBtxcb4oqgC8cgRD09leXK7SPMLG P9VkZC+03ulCSiwo3G57lmZKFy15yM/RnxMgO/+F91ElnNIvP/1im6eu+ SG7bv8Le4m7Q/3kYUl1rVwgdS/kwg;

Am Montag 16 April 2012, 13:39:36 schrieb Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 04:16:07PM +0800, Lin Ming wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 10:30 PM, Lin Ming <mlin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > [....]

> > > Right, I mean "hardware event" does not work.
> > >
> > > Hardware event, for example, perf top -e cycles, does not work.
> >
> > Just found that vpmu is disabled by default.
> > You need to pass xen boot parameter "vpmu" to make hardware event work.
>
> Oh, I wonder why it was disabled by default? Wei, would you know
> by any chance?

This had to do with a problem in the intel nehalem processors which could cause
endless interrupt loops in the hypervisor if a hvm guest uses the performance
counters so Keir proposed to add the vpmu boot flag.

http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-10/msg01460.html
and
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-11/msg00088.html

Dietmar