Re: [Xen-devel] Upgrade from xen-4.1-testing to xen-unstable report

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 8:08 AM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-04-11 at 22:23 +0100, Teck Choon Giam wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is just my experience about issues I encountered when upgrade
>> from xen-4.1-testing changeset 23277:80130491806f to xen-unstable
>> changeset 25191:a95fc7decc83.
>>
>> 1. Immediately after upgrade, xl list show such error:
>>
>> # xl list
>> libxl: error: libxl.c:506:libxl_list_domain: geting domain info list:
>> Permission denied
>> libxl_domain_infolist failed.
>>
>> After a reboot, it is fine.  Any idea why such behaviour?  Imagine if
>> there are running domUs... this might cause issues to shutdown?  I
>> will downgrade and repeat such test to confirm.  Might be worth a note
>> in upgrading note about this if this is intended?
>
> The tools and the hypervisor are a matched pair so you would need to
> reboot the system in order to use the new tools. This has always been
> the case with Xen upgrades.

I think you mean minor version upgrade is fine but not for major
version upgrade which I can understand ;)

>> 2. localtime setting not working.  Set to localtime=1 doesn't seems to
>> work whereby setting rtc_timeoffset works.  Any idea?
>
> I've CC'd Lin Ming who implemented both of those.

Thanks.  I know Lin Ming implemented this.

>> 3. xl trigger hvmdomain power still never remove those related
>> iptables forward rules.  This is the same problem when I test in
>> xen-4.1-testing.  Refer to
>> http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2012-02/msg00771.html
>> about past report.  When test in xen-4.1-testing, one funny behaviour
>> is if I start hvmdomain using xm then use xl trigger hvmdomain power
>> does remove those iptables related rule chain.
>
> I think this is an issue with the hotplug scripts not being run at the
> right time. There are some improvements to this in the pipeline which I
> hope will help here.

Hope so :)  Anyway, same problem if hvmdomain shutdown itself.

>> I shall do more testing when time permit and sorry if this report is
>> useless to anyone.
>
> On the contrary it is always useful to hear about these things, thank
> you.

My main frequent testing and production rely on xen-4.1-testing not
xen-unstable but I will try my best to do such testing in xen-unstable
once in a while until xen v4.2.0 officially released.

> Ian.

Thanks Ian for taking time to response ;)

Kindest regards,
Giam Teck Choon