Re: [Xen-devel] Xenstore daemon is not running after boot; although can be started manually later. Any pointers why ?

Questions about configuration issues should be posted to xen-users in
the first instance and only sent to xen-devel if/when an actual bug has
been identified. Redirecting this post there.

On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 01:01 +0000, Ranjith Krishnan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I build and installed Xen (4.1.3)  from source, and I think I have got
> it working. Well, almost.
> I am using unmodified kernel of Fedora16 as my dom0 kernel.
>
> So this is what happened.
>
> I am able to boot into Xen, but the  "xl info" failed with the
> standard error message mentioned in the tutorial.
> "libxl: error: libxl.c:56:libxl_ctx_init Is xenstore daemon running?
> failed to stat /var/run/xenstored.pid:
> No such file or directory cannot init xl context"
>
> I checked the xen common problems page,
> http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenCommonProblems.html and did some
> troubleshooting.
>
> I was infact running Xen dom0, since I got this output.
> # ls /proc/xen/
> capabilities  privcmd  xenbus  xsd_kva  xsd_port
>
> # cat /proc/xen/capabilities
> control_d
>
> But my evtchn and gntdev were not loaded. Hence below command returned
> nothing.
>
> I ran commands "modprobe xen-evtchn" and "modprobe gntdev" to manually
> load those drivers.
> Then went to /etc/init.d to manually restart xencommons and got this.
> # ./xencommons restart"
> Stopping xenconsoled
> WARNING: Not stopping xenstored, as it cannot be restarted.
> Starting xenstored...
> Setting domain 0 name...
> Starting xenconsoled...
>
> Now "xl info" gave the right output.
>
> So do I need to do this everytime I boot ? Why does it not work right
> off the boot automatically ?

Are you sure you have configured the xencommons initscript to run at
boot time? If so then what is its output when it is run as part of the
boot process, as opposed to running it by hand as you have done here?