Re: [Xen-devel] [REQUEST] Request for Hosting My Xen HowTo/Tutorial/Documentation on www.xen.org and Xen Wiki

  • To: "Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)" <singapore.mr.teo.en.ming@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: <djmagee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:25:44 -0400
  • Cc: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 16:26:09 +0000

Collaboration aside, a PDF (or HTML or Word) document isn't appropriate
for the content.  Your documents are ~260 pages, where 245 of those
pages are just one kernel config file.  It would be much more helpful on
the wiki, where you can link to the config file so people can download
it directly, and you can use the content of the wiki entry to point out
only the changes you made to the default Ubuntu config file (which I
believe you already do).

And, to the collaboration point, not everyone may be successful
following your instructions.  In this case, it would be nice if those
people can log onto the wiki and update your page to make your
documentation more verbose and explain difficulties one might encounter
and how to overcome them.  I'm sure you'd rather do this than have
people email you the same question over and over again when they're
trying to follow your PDF document that you have sole control of.  Or,
have to commit to publishing a new version of the document every time
there's a minor revision in any of the related pieces of software.  That
would get old quick...

Doug