Re: [Xen-devel] xl block-attach vs block-detach

Please don't top post, it destroys the flow of the conversation.

On Fri, 2012-03-02 at 22:54 +0000, Joseph Glanville wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I understand it prefering tapdisk over loop+blkback has never been
> for performance reasons historically. (tapdisk2:aio does however
> exhibit very good performance)
> The primary reason that tapdisk was always recommended over file: is
> that the Linux file cache does very interesting things to your data
> and sync is returned to the blkback backend much sooner than the data
> actually resides safely on disk (which can sit in the linux disk cache
> for a sizeable amount of time if they machine has alot of ram).

Are you suggesting that the loop device doesn't support O_DIRECT and
will leave stuff dirty in the page cache even when direct access is
used? That is worth knowing!

> Unfortunately changing the default behavior to tapdisk

What exactly needs changing?

>  probably isn't
> viable at this time for a number of reasons - not least of which is
> the fact it is yet to be included in mainline.

tapdisk is not going to be included in mainline. The kernel side is
deemed to be non-upstreamble.

Someone is working on a fully userspace version of bkltap which we hope
will be ready soon.

Ian.