Re: [Xen-devel] Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re: Patches for VGA-Passthrough XEN 4.2 unstable

Hi again,
Let's assume that "I/O virtualisation enabled" is the only required VT-d
option.

After using pci-stub for seize the graphic card I can see that it is
available in the assignable devices:
  root@debian:~# xm pci-list-assignable-devices
  0000:01:00.0
  0000:01:00.1
I can see it in Dom0 too:
  root@debian:~# lspci | grep nVidia
  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GF104 [GeForce GTX
460] (rev a1)
  01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation GF104 High Definition Audio
Controller (rev a1)
So now the nvidia card (which I understand that has an audio part too) can
be assigned to the Windows guest.
I use the following config file:
root@debian:~# cat /etc/xen/win01.cfg
  kernel = "/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader"
  builder='hvm'
  vcpus = 1
  name = "winXP"
  #vif = [ 'type=ioemu, bridge=xenbr0' ]
  #viridian = 1
  gfx_passthru=0
  #pci=['01:00.0']
  pci = [ '01:00.0', '01:00.1' ]
  monitor=1
  acpi = 1
  apic = 1
  pae = 1
  disk = [ 'file:/home/xen/domains/win01/disk.img,ioemu:hda,w',
'file:/home/javier/winxpSP3.iso,hdc:cdrom,r' ]
  device_model = "/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm"
  boot="c"
  sdl=0
  vnc=1
  vncconsole=1
 #vncpasswd=''
  serial='pty'
  usbdevice='tablet'
  on_poweroff='destroy'
  on_reboot='destroy'
  on_crash='restart'

I create the guest using another PC with ssh conection (putty) because when
I create the guest the host screen goes black due to the graphic card is not
owned by Dom0 anymore.
Well, the error appear here and the guest is not started:
  root@debian:~# xm create win01.cfg
  Using config file "/etc/xen/win01.cfg".
  Error: Timed out waiting for device model action

Just to be sure, I think my Dom0 kernel is well configured:

  root@debian:~# cat /boot/config-2.6.32.45 | grep XEN
  CONFIG_XEN=y
  CONFIG_XEN_PVHVM=y
  CONFIG_XEN_MAX_DOMAIN_MEMORY=128
  CONFIG_XEN_SAVE_RESTORE=y
  CONFIG_XEN_DEBUG_FS=y
  CONFIG_SWIOTLB_XEN=y
  CONFIG_MICROCODE_XEN=y
  CONFIG_XEN_DOM0=y
  CONFIG_XEN_PRIVILEGED_GUEST=y
  CONFIG_XEN_DOM0_PCI=y
  CONFIG_XEN_PCI_PASSTHROUGH=y
  CONFIG_PCI_XEN=y
  CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_FRONTEND=y
  CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=y
  CONFIG_NETXEN_NIC=m
  CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND=m
  CONFIG_XEN_KBDDEV_FRONTEND=y
  CONFIG_HVC_XEN=y
  CONFIG_XEN_WDT=y
  CONFIG_XEN_FBDEV_FRONTEND=y
  CONFIG_XEN_BALLOON=y
  CONFIG_XEN_SCRUB_PAGES=y
  CONFIG_XEN_DEV_EVTCHN=y
  CONFIG_XEN_BACKEND=y
  CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_BACKEND=y
  CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_BACKEND=y
  CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_TAP=m
  CONFIG_XEN_BLKBACK_PAGEMAP=y
  CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND=y
  # CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_VPCI is not set
  CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_PASS=y
  # CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_SLOT is not set
  # CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BACKEND_CONTROLLER is not set
  # CONFIG_XEN_PCIDEV_BE_DEBUG is not set
  CONFIG_XENFS=y
  CONFIG_XEN_COMPAT_XENFS=y
  CONFIG_XEN_SYS_HYPERVISOR=y
  CONFIG_XEN_XENBUS_FRONTEND=y
  CONFIG_XEN_GNTDEV=y
  CONFIG_XEN_S3=y
  CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR_XEN=m
  CONFIG_XEN_PLATFORM_PCI=y

I can create the guest removing the pci=[] line from the win01.cfg file:
  root@debian:~# xm create win01.cfg
  Using config file "/etc/xen/win01.cfg".
  Started domain winXP (id=7)
If I try to attach the graphic card in warm mode (The guest is already
started) then I see the same error:
  root@debian:~# xm pci-attach 7 01:00.0
  Error: Timed out waiting for device model action
  Usage: xm pci-attach [-o|--options=<opt>] <Domain> <domain:bus:slot.func>
[virtual slot]
  Insert a new pass-through pci device.

That's all, sorry for the long post, I just want to provide enough
information, thank you again for your time.

James