Re: [Xen-devel] Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re : Re: Patches for VGA-Passthrough XEN 4.2 unstable

Hi James,

ah ok - somehow my client didnt display anything in bold, therefore my irritation :)

But i'm nearly equally irritated by your Problem(description)...

1st, for reference, here is my xl dmesg output regarding iommu:

(XEN) Intel VT-d Snoop Control not enabled.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Dom0 DMA Passthrough not enabled.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Queued Invalidation enabled.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Interrupt Remapping enabled.
(XEN) Intel VT-d Shared EPT tables not enabled.
(XEN) I/O virtualisation enabled

Yours indicates a few more "not enabled" features, but iirc the only important one here is the last "I/O virtualisation enabled", but dont nail me down on that; Is "01:00.0" the output of "xl pci-list-assignable-devices" ? if not, you have a config/hardware problem you need to solve first.

lets assume your hardware is capable and your xen is conf'ed correct (xen cmdline and dom0-kernel cmdline regarding pcipassthrough and iommu) then:

after you installed your domu os (i assume here its windows), with gfx_passthrough=0 (so that the cirrus-card gets used as primary within domu), you should see within the qemu-vnc on localhost:5900 (or whereever it listens according to your domu-config), 2 Graphics-devices: one cirrus, working "normaly" and one representing your passed-through card, which is disabled because no device driver is loaded for it. From here on you should be able to normaly install the driver for the card (nvidia/ati-catalyst installer...), and after a reboot, the card should get initialized and bring a picture to the physically connected monitor of the passedtrough card. After all that you can set gfx_passthrough=1 for the pure cosmetic reason that the cirrus card gets removed from the devicemanager (and you therefore only see the qemu-command-console when you vnc to localhost:5900) - but its not necessary at all.

Good luck!
Greetings
Tobias