Re: [Xen-devel] Driver domains and hotplug scripts, redux

Dave Scott writes ("Re: [Xen-devel] Driver domains and hotplug scripts, redux"):
> FYI XCP/xapi is a heavy user of blktap2 and we use it like this:
>
> 0. user calls VM.start
> 1. xapi invokes one of its "storage managers" (plugin scripts, one per
>    storage type) telling it to "attach" a disk.
> 2. the storage manager zones-in the relevant LUN and runs "tap-ctl"
>    commands to create a block device. This is returned to xapi.
> 3. xapi creates the block backend directory in xenstore with
>    "params=<block device>".

Thanks for the info.  Right, this is a model we should continue to
support in libxl.  All the "management" is done outside libxl, and
libxl is simply provided with the block device.

ATM libxl only supports taking an actual device name in /dev, and TBH
I can't really see that changing because some parts of libxl might
need to actually open it in dom0.

I guess though it wouldn't be hard for xapi to provide a name in
/dev.  It must surely make one for its own purposes.