Re: [Xen-devel] libxl: error: libxl.c:2150:libxl_set_memory_target new target 0 for dom0 is below the minimum threshold

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 11:30 +0000, Teck Choon Giam wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Ian Campbell <Ian.Campbell@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I still cannot see anything in that range. However as I said before, it
> >> is expected that with dom0_mem set autoballoon needs to be disabled.
> >
> > We still haven't seen the full node IDs of the changesets which I asked
> > for so it is not obvious that we are actually looking at the same range
> > of changesets...
>
> Sorry, I am actually not sure what ID you are asking :(
>
> Changesets details as below:
>
> changeset:   23110:4d5c76248de3

The "23110" bit here is only locally relevant to the repo you are
looking at so you cannot reliably identify a changeset to someone else
using that number. Only the "4d5c76248de3" is a global identifier and
can therefore be exchanged.

> user:        Roger Pau Monne <roger.pau@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> date:        Sat Jul 23 09:01:25 2011 +0100
> summary:     xend: remove PCI device listing from NetBSD, since it's Linux
>
> changeset:   23190:5a00ccfc6391
> user:        Stefano Stabellini <stefano.stabellini@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> date:        Fri Nov 18 13:38:05 2011 +0000
> summary:     x86: re-inject emulated level pirqs in PV on HVM guests
> if still asserted

Unfortunately I still don't see anything relevant between these
changesets so I've no idea why this seems to be a new issue. Are you
_positive_ that you didn't change anything else about your system
configuration on upgrade?

> >> Maybe it is worth documenting this somewhere, any suggestions where?
> >
> > xl man page? Perhaps we also need a separate /etc/xl.cfg (or whatever
> > the path is) page?
>
> Shouldn't it be xl.conf instead of xl.cfg?  xl man page will helps a
> lot especially for those of us switching from xm to xl.

It should match the actual filename which does appear to be xl.conf not
cfg.

> > If there is anywhere on the wiki which recommends dom0_mem= (and there
> > should be) it should simultaneously mention this setting. As should any
> > "getting started" page.
> >
> > On the other hand I'm not sure why autoballoon and dom0_mem play so
> > badly together. Surely if dom0_mem is used autoballon should just see
> > that there is plenty of free RAM in the system and not do anything?
> >
> > Ian.
>
> From this experience, at least I learn more about xl and what
> configuration should be set for my usage/environment.  Like for
> example, when I used xl create hvmdomain... those iptables forward
> rule chains are created as well for its vif and tap but when xl
> trigger hvmdomain power or xl shutdown hvmdomain... those iptables
> forward rule chains are still left intact :(  This isn't big issue for
> me as I have created script to remove those though.  Anyway, I will
> bring this up when you guys going to release xen-4.2-rc... ... as this
> thread is not for me I know.

That sounds like a bug, there's no need to wait for an rc release to
report a bug.

Ian.